Dogs, unfortunately, have physical problems just like you and me. You can go the traditional route and give your pup pharmaceutical drugs to relieve his or her symptoms. Or if you prefer, you can consider the all-natural and very effective alternative solutions currently available on the market today. CBD (Cannabidiol) oil is very effective, completely legal, and extracted from the hemp plant.
Based on recent studies, products containing CBD oil provide benefits for human beings like help with seizures, pain, neurological disorders, and anxiety. You may be wondering if it’s also a safe alternative for your dogs. We’ll discuss this and more below.
The Best Definition of CBD Oil
CBD, also known as cannabidiol, is an extract that comes from the buds and flowers of hemp and cannabis plants. But the beauty of this particular extract is you will not get high from it – and this is a good thing because it makes it completely legal in the USA.
Why don’t you get high? Simply put, this extracted CBD contains low levels of tetrahydrocannabinol a.k.a. THC, which is the chemical that makes you get stoned when smoking or ingesting marijuana.
To clarify even further, marijuana and hemp are both derived from the cannabis plant. Each of them will contain various levels of THC. The THC in marijuana is very potent and can reach as much as 30%. With the hemp plant, on the other hand, the maximum amount of THC available is only 0.3%, which is barely anything and it will never get you high.
So the moral of the story is simple. The THC containing CBD oil is very illegal in the wide majority of US states. CBD oil extracted from the hemp plant is not only legal in the United States, but it’s also legal in all 50 states, and the US Farm Bill was recently updated so more farmers can begin growing hemp plants right here in America.
Is CBD Oil Actually Going to Help My Dog in Any Way?
As a matter of fact, yes it will definitely help your dog in similar ways that it can help human beings. Just like people, cats and dogs have endocannabinoid systems, which mean they can experience the exact same benefits from CBD as human beings. The active ingredients in hemp can relieve difficult pet symptoms as well as it relieves these unwanted symptoms for everyday people.
CBD oil for dogs or dog treats containing CBD are perfect for a number of different conditions. Some are chronic and some only happen occasionally, but they all cause your dog to suffer needlessly.
CBD oil can help with symptoms like pain even if it’s moderate or severe, stress and anxiety, joint pain, arthritis, digestive issues, seizures, and even chronic inflammation. And just like with people, CBD has a way of relieving the symptoms to help your pup feel much better than they did without it.
Determining the Highest Quality CBD Oil to Buy for Pets
At this time, there aren’t specific regulations available to regulate the CBD oil industry meaning it doesn’t fall under the jurisdiction of the FDA or USDA. So it’s upon you to determine the right factors when looking for a suitable option. Ultimately, you have to decide whether these products are going to be safe and effective and helpful for your pup or not. Some things to look for include:
- Is the CBD oil certified organic? The best products on the market today are organically grown and certified and derived from high quality hemp plants. These organic plants are toxin free and very effective.
- Was the product independently tested? You’ll always benefit from using CBD products that were independently tested. The testing company will provide a certificate of analysis if the product passes. Most tests will look at heavy metals, pesticides, residual solvents, mycotoxins, and microbiology to name a few serious issues to keep in mind.
- How does the company process the CBD? The way they process the CBD oil is just as important as independent testing and using organic hemp. The best and safest methods include CO2 extraction with carbon dioxide and cold press extraction. Some companies use cheap extraction methods. These methods typically employ toxic solvents like butane, hexane, and propane during the extraction process which makes the CBD far from pure.
- Do you know the THC level? Before buying a product, you definitely need to check the potency of the THC. Some products have higher levels than others and the THC might accidentally harm your pet. So find products containing less than 0.3% levels of THC because they are definitely safe for your dog.
How to Decide the Amount of CBD to Give Your Dog
You need to remain cautious when giving dogs CBD products. Unfortunately we haven’t had a chance to study these scientific breakthroughs with pets enough yet so it’s best to keep the dosage low to stay on the safe side.
When determining the amount, please use the tips below provided by experienced holistic veterinarians:
- Get a consultation with your vet – during your consultation tell the vet you’re giving your dog CBD and see what they recommend.
- Begin with a small dose – in fact, you should keep your dose as low as 0.25 mg and only give it to your pup once a day. If it doesn’t seem like its helping, you can begin to increase the dosage slowly and monitor your pooch’s overall response just like you pay attention to any other medication.
- Consider your dog’s activity level, size, and weight – knowing this information is important. If you have a very large dog, he or she will require a bigger dosage. If your dog is a tiny little thing, your dosage could and should remain small.
- Does your dog have any health conditions? – Keep these health conditions in mind when giving your dog CBD products. Some problems like kidney and liver issues might make it difficult or nearly impossible to metabolize CBD, as one example.
- Discover the highest quality CBD oil – make sure this oil doesn’t contain any toxins whatsoever. This industry is not under any regulations so it’s possible to easily buy sketchy products that could end up causing more harm than good.
- Choose the right potency based on the size of your dog – oils come in all different potencies when it comes to CBD. Small dogs should take 75 mg, while larger dogs can take as much as 300 mg or more.
Top CBD Oils for Dogs
As far as CBD oil and dog treats are concerned, we have some pics that we prefer over others. They include:
This is one of our favorite US manufacturers of CBD oil. Their products are pure, and they aren’t filled with nasty contaminants. This company has a wide range of treats and oils that are perfect to help your dog overcome pain, anxiety, and other conditions.
Even better, when you purchase from their website they contribute to the Savings Sage Animal Rescue Foundation, which is a nonprofit organization based in South Florida.
What we like about this company: all of their products undergo independent laboratory testing. They use organic hemp to extract the CBD using the CO2 extraction process. Their products are solvent and pesticide free. They provide a 15-day money back guarantee, and all of their products are made in the USA.
What we don’t like about this company: for the most part we like them, but they do not tell us if their hemp is non-GMO.
Their prices are as follows:
- 25 mg bottles for $24.99
- 50 mg bottles for $39.99
- 100 mg bottles for $49.99
- if you spend more than $100, your shipping is free
This company strictly focuses on making CBD products for pets. They sell numerous sprays, balms, treats, and oils.
What we like about this company: all of their products are tested in a third-party laboratory, and each product comes with a COA upon purchase. Their hemp is organic and non-GMO, they extract the CBD using the CO2 extraction process, their products do not have any solvents or pesticides, they have a 30-day money back guarantee, and all of their products are made in the United States.
What we don’t like about this company: they do not ship any of their products to Ohio.
Their prices are as follows:
- 75 mg bottles for $39.99
- 150 mg bottles for $59.99
- 300 mg bottles for $89.99
- will ship for free if you spend $75 or more
They derive their products from their very own hemp which is organically grown and certified in Colorado. They make tinctures and oils with less than .03% THC and support local animal sanctuaries and animal rescues.
What we like about this company: each product is third-party tested and comes with a COA certificate. Their hemp is vegan, GMO-free, gluten-free, and organically grown by the company itself in Colorado. It doesn’t contain any solvents or pesticides, it’s made in the US as we already said, and it’s extracted using the top-rated CO2 process.
What we don’t like about this company: they do not share information about the third-party testing facility, and they do not have a money back guarantee in place.
Their prices are as follows:
- a 5 ounce jar of hemp infused coconut oil containing 100 mg is $39
- a 5 ounce jar of hemp infused coconut oil containing 500 mg is $99.99
- a 1 ounce bottle of 250 mg hemp oil tincture costs $79.99
- a 1 ounce bottle of 1000 mg hemp oil tincture costs $149
- hemp infused dog biscuits cost $25
- all orders are shipped for free
This company sells capsules, oils, and dog biscuits.
What we like: their products are made in the USA, they offer a 3a0-day money back guarantee, nonprofit organizations get a big discount, they extract the CBD using the CO2 extraction process, and they use non-GMO and organic hemp. Insurers even cover Their products like Trupanion and Pet Plan.
What we don’t like: they have expensive products, do not share their testing results, and do not let you know about the levels of CBD in their products. Because of these issues, we do not currently recommend this company.
Their prices include the following: 500 mg of oil for $79.95, 250 mg of oil for $49.95 and 125 mg of oil for $39.95.
What Medications Are Perfectly Safe for My Dog?
Some people are still concerned about the ability to treat their dog using hemp products containing CBD. The truth is these products work just as well for dogs as they do for human beings. And if you’ve been paying even the least bit of attention, you’ll see the miraculous results that many people are beginning to experience when taking CBD oil.
They are no longer in pain, no longer suffer from epilepsy, feel relieved symptoms of anxiety and panic attacks, and ultimately feel better all-around.
Guess what? Your dog can benefit from CBD products as well. But if you’d prefer to forgo this powerful treatment, other natural options include essential oils, massage, acupuncture, and therapy. Or if you prefer pharmaceuticals, you always have the option to go to your local veterinarian’s office and get prescribed or over-the-counter medications or buy them from your favorite online retailer.
No matter what, do not let your dog continue to suffer needlessly. If you aren’t going to give your pooch CBD products, at least try some of the other options we’ve mentioned today to help relieve their pain, suffering, and anxiety symptoms.